In order for your cat to be accepted for intake, you must go through the following process:
FIRST: Email the following information to our intake team at firstname.lastname@example.org:
Please note: There is a $50 surrender fee for any pet we take in to help with cost of care. Please allow 72 hours for an email response.
- Cat's Name, Breed, Sex, Age, and coat color
- Cat’s general health status, including current weight?
- Has the cat been spayed/neutered?
- If yes, at what age was the cat spayed/neutered?
- Has the cat been bred? If yes, please list date and number of litters.
- How your cat reacts to Other Cats, Dogs? Kids? Strangers?
- Is the cat litter box trained?
- Does the cat have any known medical issues? (Including overweight/underweight): Please list any past hospitalizations and/or surgical procedures.
- Please list all medications that you administer to your pet. This includes dietary supplements such as glucosamine/chondroitin.
- Please list the name of your veterinarian/animal hospital where your pet has been treated.
- Does AAWL have permission to contact the above listed practice in order to obtain previous medical records?
- Why is your animal being surrendered?
SECOND: If the cat sounds like a match for AAWL, you will be contacted and a date will be set up for a behavior and medical evaluation. NOTE: 1. ALL EVALUATIONS MUST BE SCHEDULED -‐ WE DO NOT ACCEPT WALK-‐INS. 2. Your cat will be given a 10-‐minute blood test for feline leukemia and FIV.
THIRD: At your scheduled evaluation, we ask that you bring any previous veterinarian records. Your cat will be assessed behaviorally and also medically to ensure there are no major issues that would impede us finding the cat a home.
FOURTH: Based on the results of the evaluations, we will make a determination in regards to accepting your cat.
FIFTH: If we accept your cat, you will need to be prepared to surrender the cat immediately OR wait until we have space. You must complete the following information:
- Owner Surrender Form -‐ (NOTE: You must have a Valid Driver's License or other form of legal I.D.)
- Owner Surrender Profile -‐ providing information about the cat for potential adopters.