An update on the Arizona Animal Welfare League's plans for March 19 - April 7 from Judith Gardner, President and CEO
Like most businesses, the Arizona Animal Welfare League is responding to the fast-changing situation with the Coronavirus and information and instructions from health experts. AAWL has the health of its staff, volunteers and customers, and the animals we care for, as well as our overall community health and safety as our top priorities.
Therefore, we would like to update the public with the following changes to our normal operations:
- As of Thursday, March 19th, our Chandler Fashion Center Adoption Center will be closed until further notice. Many of the stores in the Mall have closed and we want to be certain that we are doing everything possible to ensure the safety of our staff, volunteers and customers by sheltering ourselves and our animals away from the public while we continue to assess ongoing conditions.
- Our main shelter at 40th St. & Washington will be open for adoptions through 6:00 p.m. on Sunday, March 22nd. ALL ADOPTIONS WILL BE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Please visit our website at www.aawl.org for a list of dogs, cats, kittens and puppies available for adoption and instructions on how to set up an appointment and what to bring with you. All adoptions will be at no charge thanks to Chapman BMW on Camelback and “Beemer’s Buddies” Adoption Special. Appointments will be spaced out so that there is a minimum number of people at the shelter at any one time. All “meet and greet” and adoption procedures will be conducted outdoors in one of our play yards. Animals will be adopted on a first come/first served basis and no animals will be held under any circumstances. You must follow our normal adoption procedure to qualify for an adoptable animal. If you do not have an appointment you will not be allowed to view or meet any animals and will be turned away. We anticipate only having a limited number of animals available so please make your appointments asap and do not come to the shelter without a confirmed appointment. NOTE: Please do not visit the shelter if you or anyone you have interacted with is ill. Our staff is taking personal risks in continuing to serve the public.
- As of Monday, March 23rd our main shelter location at 40th St. & Washington will be closed at least until Tuesday, April 7th. As we approach that date, we will reassess the conditions in the community to determine if we will be able to reopen for regular business on April 7th as we hope. Of course, we will have a small staff to care for the animals remaining on site.
- Our low-cost public clinic, MD PetCare WILL REMAIN OPEN for clients whose animals are sick and need to be seen by a veterinarian by appointment only. All appointments MUST BE confirmed by our medical staff and anyone wishing to cancel an appointment must call the clinic to cancel at least 24 hours in advance. WE ARE NOT AN EMERGENCY CLINIC AND WILL NOT SEE WALK-IN OR EMERGENCY CASES. WE DO NOT OFFER OVERNIGHT CARE OR ANY TYPE OF BOARDING. PLEASE TAKE YOUR ANIMAL TO AN EMERGENCY CLINIC IF NECESSARY.
- PLEASE NOTE: Public clinic clients will be given priority. Each client with a confirmed appointment will call the number provided to them when they arrive at the clinic. The client will be asked to wait in their car as a staff member comes to get the pet and brings them back to the client’s car after the appointment. All necessary communications between the medical staff and the client will occur by phone. Please bring your cell phone with you and provide the medical staff with your cell number in advance. Payment by credit card can also be arranged by phone and a receipt will be provided at the end of the appointment.
- Please DO NOT bring your pet to MD PetCare if you are sick or have been exposed to someone who may possibly be carrying the coronavirus. Our medical team is dedicated to helping sick animals and is putting themselves at risk in doing so. Therefore, please do not endanger them by exposing them to this very serious virus.
March 18, 2020